Sunday, November 30, 2008

Informal Tradition

We have an awesome fake tree. We bought it many (?) years ago. I love the way it looks full and beautiful. The drawback is that each bough is separate from the trunk meaning that it is a pain to put up and take apart. After you figure out where each bough goes, you then have to "fluff" it and it scratches your arms to do it. Are you getting a mental picture yet? It is a pain. Well, I've always wanted the Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving and Rick never wants to help. He used to be a big of a humbug, but he's much better now though he still hates putting up our tree.

So here's our tradition. It takes us at least 3 days to set up our Christmas tree. The 1st day we put it together and fluff as much as we can stand. The 2nd day we finish fluffing and put the lights on. Unfortunately, putting the lights on almost always causes a fight in itself. What a royal pain! Even though I checked all 4 strands we were using (really needed 5) the last one only half works this year so the bottom isn't lit. The 3rd day we put the ornaments up. While I have gotten used to this tradition and don't mind it so much as long as Rick is helping, the kids are getting older and aren't so patient for it taking 3 days to finish. We tried to put our ornaments on tonight, but Annie and Darren are still sick. Annie didn't even want to help. Darren just wanted me to hold him unless he saw a breakable ornament, which he would try to get and then throw a fit because I wouldn't let him have it :) Carlyn was having a great time and the ornaments that made it on (just a portion) are all in one small section of the tree. I think we may just leave it. I don't care too much this year. I'll have to take a picture, but with me and the little ones being sickies, I'm not exactly energetic.

No comments: