Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Little Linney

My little Linney isn't so little anymore. She's turning 5 tomorrow, November 5th. This is more for me, than anyone else, so skip this long part if you want to :)

5 years ago I was in labor, already for about 7 hours after being induced due to a major fluid drop overnight. I really wanted a natural birth but I didn't start out in the best conditions. I hadn't slept well the night before and I hadn't eaten anything since then either. I got up to have a non stress test, as I was a week overdue, and they told me not to eat. Then I told them I thought my water broke, so the checked the fluid. They said it didn't "break" but there was a definite loss of fluid. I waited an hour for the doctor to come talk to me and tell me she thought I needed to be started. They still didn't let me eat even though I waited another hour or two for Rick to finish the project he was on and come to the hospital. I was starving by this time and very anxious for a baby. To make it shorter, I was induced and didn't do anything much for hours and hours, so the Doc told me she wanted to "crank my pitocin". This was sometime toward the next morning and while I was doing my hypnobirthing pretty well, I was exhausted already. She said she would recommend having an epidural then because I wouldn't be able to handle the pitocin and I didn't want to put the baby at risk in case I had to have a c-section. I bawled and bawled, but finally got an epidural and was able to rest. After being on strong pitocin for hours and I was still only dilated to an 8 and the baby didn't drop, her heart rate did drop and the doc informed me that we were doing a c-section. NOW. I was scared to death and scared for my baby. Rick gave me a blessing and the surgery went well, but it was rough on both of us and they whisked Carlyn away to help her breath better. She was born about 4 pm and I didn't see her until about 9, I think. Anyway, I finally got to hold my baby girl and she was beautiful. She had the hardest time during birth and had to have an IV to hopefully prevent any infections from the long labor. She also had jaundice and I only got to hold her to feed her in the hospital.

Look at my angel! She worked the IV in her hand out and had to have it in her head later. It made me cry, but she smiled at me and it was okay.
This was a few days later. What a sweet thing, huh?

This began our journey as parents. Sweet Carlyn. We love you so much. We have enjoyed being your parents and continue to love you so much!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I had no idea you went through all of that to get your little Carlyn here. It's amazing that she is 5 already! Happy Birthday!

crystal said...

Wow! What a rough beginning! I don't know if I knew about that! She is beautiful!

Anne-Marie said...

Awww-what precious pictures. Those first hours of life are just amazing!

Happy Birthday Carlyn!

Devri said...

Congrats, sorry you are sick.

So I have to tell you,

Your photo below with the children sitting on the porch with their halloween on threw me for a loop for about 5 minutes..

Hoodini I tell ya,

Your oldest looks like she has a fake leg. yep a fake leg, I looked and looked and said how sad, went down to try to find out why, then it dawned on me that she is in shorts and she is all legs accounted for.

So I went back up and thought maybe a Halloween trick, then I looked some more, asked my ten year old what she thought that was, and she said 'a girl with a fake leg.

Then I finally noticed it was her black pants with stripes under her dress.

Just call me dumb and dumber..