Friday, August 8, 2008

Potty Help

I did a post about Anneliese recently, but I'm calling out for help in this one. I'm about at the end of my rope. I've been the kind of mom to want my kids to potty train on their own and maybe I'll have to go back to that. But, Annie can go on the potty, but refuses. I've tried many tactics and nothing has worked. Actually today went pretty well, but I tried them all together!!! No kidding. I told her no more pull-ups and diapers only at night. I had her choose her favorite underwear, gave potty treats, stickers, and even a potty prize after each time with a goal of ten times to be rewarded with a trip to McDonalds "knick knack Donald's" with mommy.

Today she went 4 times, with 3 accidents. Usually it would be 1 time in a week or two. So we're already improving. I'm sure that doing all that was too much, but I was desperate. I can't change 8-12 diapers a day anymore. Its driving me crazy. Carlyn had to work at it for awhile to get it right, but as soon as she found out her friend was potty trained, that was enough motivation. Anneliese doesn't care about that however and no amount of guilt can make her feel bad. I hope that's not an indication for the future.

Oh, one time after she had an accident, she had Snow White panties on so I said, "Oh no. You peed on Snow White!" Ann said, "Yeah, she gonna be mad." Then later she peed on her Dora panties and she was all sad and said, "Oh no Mommy. Dora gonna be so mad at me." I smiled and said that Dora would understand that she was just learning and wouldn't be too mad at her. Too cute. What was not so cute was when she was sitting on Carlyn's pillow and peed on it.

If you have any tips, please let me know. Thanks!!!

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Pottytraining is just not my forte, but I think it really does have a lot to do with the kid just deciding for themself. (of course, bribing & threatening can help sometimes) Gabriel is doing soooo much better than Kanoa did starting out.

Debbie said...

When I potty trained Scotlyn, the best advice I received was to do it for three days straight, no matter what. If after three days, she still didn't want to do it, I would go back to diapers. After about a day and a half, both of my girls caught on and it worked. I had a power struggle with both of them but when I decided to give up and let them go when they wanted to, instead of making them sit on the potty when I felt like they needed to, they did it all on their own. I would put the potty on the floor and say, "here is the potty, you know when you need to use it, because you are a smart girl, so use it when you are ready". We still had lots of accidents, but they both seemed to catch on rather quickly.
All kids are different though, so it's all a matter of finding what works for your Annie. My SIL used the potty training in a day for her little boy, and she said it worked great for him. Good luck Bonny!

crystal said...

I hate potty training! Good Luck!

PS I didn't know Maddy's Fam went to the James Taylor concert!