Sunday, October 26, 2008

8th Anniversary

Rick and I got married 8 years ago today! When you say it like that it doesn't seem very long. I don't mean to say that it feels long, necessarily, but when I look back at everything I am amazed that it all happened in only 8 years. 3 beautiful children and a thousand other things. We have struggled plenty, but we always realize that we have what is most important in this life, an eternal family.

Rick's sister, proud Auntie Bee, was excited to take our children for the night. ALL NIGHT! We've never done that before. At least with all 3 of them. I've hardly been away from my kids ever so it was a lot for me to let her take them, but I knew that Rick and I needed the night to ourselves and soon welcomed the idea. (Sorry this is long, but this is for me, so feel free to read or skip this next part.)

Last night was our ward's trunk-or-treat. It was totally fun and I will post pictures later. So knowing that we were going out to celebrate we snacked on the chili and scones and enjoyed socializing. This was hard for Rick. He'd have liked to taste every type of chili there. Anyway, we stayed and passed out candy to the kids and then Belinda told me she was taking the kids. I was a little sad that they seemed totally excited and not at all sad at the thought of no mommy for the night. We gave a few last minute instructions about bed time. Before they were even gone there were a few phone calls about favorite blankies, lovies, & medicine, and then she said, "I'm fine. I'm prepared. They'll be great for me." So I yelled, "Call me if you need anything," and she gave me a look like, "It'd have to be pretty bad," and they left. Luckily I was so excited that I wasn't sad. I was a little anxious, but I wasn't sad all night. I really enjoyed it.

Rick and I usually only get last minute dates when someone (usually Gma White, Mathew, Or Belinda) says they can watch the kids at the last minute. We rarely get to plan something. I was a little bummed because I wanted to go to a new restaurant or somewhere we don't usually go or use a coupon for a buy one get one at Sweet Tomatoes (soup, salad, bread buffet) or Tucanos (brazilian, lots of meat), but as we couldn't pass on a little chili, this didn't seem practical. So we decided to go to Sizzler. We love their steaks and were able to share a meal and enjoyed it a lot. We wondered about what to do next as there didn't seem to be any movies that we wanted to see. We thought about seeing Mummy 3 at the dollar theater, but decided to see the Incredible Hulk at home from Redbox. Romantic, I know :) But we blew up an air mattress and moved the couch and snuggled as we watched the movie. We usually "hide" in our bedroom when we watch a movie so that we don't disturb the kids. This morning we took our leisurely time getting ready for church including a nice breakfast together. Even though it didn't seem very exciting, it was so nice to not worry about the kids. I really enjoyed spending the time with Rick, but we truly are an old married couple who didn't need anything special or romantic to enjoy just being together. That was the funnest part of all to me.

Today was our Primary program too. Belinda brought the kids back just before church started. I was so proud of Carlyn. She sang in a little group and I could hear her sing every word and she said her part clearly right into the microphone. What a little smarty pants. Annie sang with the next year Sunbeams and it was adorable. The kids were happy to see us, but not super clingy. They did seem a little tired though. When we got home from church the kids were being so funny, like they were happy to be home. Darren kept kissing me and smiling. Annie was trying to sit on me and singing "Baa Baa Black sheep, any any wool. yes sa, yes sa, 3 bags wool. 1 for the masta, 1 for the dame, 1 for the little girl who lived down da lane." Carlyn was telling me everything that happened from the time they left the trunk-or-treat. They wanted to show me every little piece of candy they got at the trunk-or-treat. Then later we were playing a silly game and Rick got on hands and knees and kicked like a donkey. Darren laughed and fell back and kicked his legs up. It doesn't sound too funny, but it was hilarious. He tries to copy everything. I love my cute kids, even when they drive me crazy :)

3 comments:

Monica Mary said...

Happy Anniversary you two! So glad you were able to really enjoy it this year. Carlyn is the cutest thing up there singing. She has sucha loud clear voice! I loved it.

Katie said...

Sounds fun! I'm glad to hear you and Rick had a nice night. Sometimes it's nice to be home without kids.

Anne-Marie said...

Happy Anniversary to you two love birds! (oooh, I miss those scones)