Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Haircut, Fire Safety, & Ear Piercing

After our bad Friday night we luckily didn't have anymore sickness but it did take us several days to recover as we were all so tired and worn out. Carlyn asked for a blessing since she saw that it helped me feel better and while she was down for a few days, she didn't throw up more.


Sunday morning my mom and I decided to tackle Darren's crazy hair. He freaks out when we cut it but it was driving me nuts hanging in his eyes and being crooked from him fighting during cutting. So we thought it would be quicker to use the clippers. As soon as he heard them he started freaking out. I wanted to take a video, but apparently we left the camera home. You would have thought we were killing the child the way he was freaking out. It wasn't any better when we just used the scissors though and it ended up so crooked (and too short, in my opinion) between him fighting and Rick and I holding his head still. I don't like it because it makes him looks so different but I am happy to get it out of his eyes. I'll have to take an after picture.


On Monday night we decided to do a follow-up fire safety family home evening. We did one maybe 6 months ago and thought a little practical lesson after talking about what to do would be good. So as we talked about getting out of the house and staying out of the house Carlyn started getting really upset after I asked her, "What if you left lamby (her lovey as long as she's been alive) in the house? Would you go back and get her?" I was saying it so that she would know NOTHING was important enough to go back into the house if it was on fire. I didn't think it would be a big deal since she's not as attached to lamby anymore. I was wrong. The poor thing got so upset and was bawling that she wouldn't leave lamby and we couldn't let her die in the fire! Oh it broke my heart. She was getting so upset by the whole talking thing so I suggested that Daddy show us what the smoke detector sounded like and we would pretend to be asleep and practice what we should do if there was a fire in the night. I thought this would be good practice, but also a distraction to Carlyn. Then Anneliese started freaking out. The whole thought of it scared her to death. It took awhile to convince her that it was fine and just a practice and the drill went great. Darren, not to be left out, was put in his crib because that was where he'd be at night and he put up quite a fit. So our fire safety lesson, while I think it went well, was full of drama.


Totally off the point, I'm wondering what suggestions any of you have about where to get the girls ears pierced or any pointers you may have. They did really great earning 100 beans together through minding, not fighting, and not sassing. So its time to get it done soon.

No comments: