Thursday, March 12, 2009

Good Example

Carlyn did the cutest thing the other day. We needed to go to Wal-Mart for diapers and a few other small things. Carlyn said, "Mom, can we get a treat at the store to give to someone?" I said, "Sure. Did you have someone in mind?" She said she did and named a neighbor family. I asked her what kind of treat and she said she'd have to see. So we got to Wal-Mart and did our shopping. I had forgotten all about her request but she hadn't. They had packages of cookies along the ends of the rows by the checkstands. She stood there carefully choosing the cookies that she thought our neighbors would like best. She chose the snickerdoodles and put them in the cart. We didn't have time that night to take them to our neighbor, but the next day she insisted on doing it the first chance we got, even though it had started snowing (which was enough to deter me.) She got a baggie from the drawer and put half the cookies into that baggie. She got on her coat and we walked a few houses. As we walked I asked why she wanted to do this for them. She told me that it is because so many people do such nice things for us and she wanted to do something nice for someone else. What a good example to me! Its not that I don't want to be nice, but I get so overwhelmed with myself and my family that when I do think of others, the thought is quickly gone or I never follow through. She also said that she just thought they would like that someone was thinking of them and that they would enjoy the cookies. :) My sweet little girl! Thank goodness that she is giving and thoughtful like her daddy because I need a reminder sometimes. She was so cute giving them to our neighbors and told them it was all her idea. They did actually seem pretty happy too. It really made my day.

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

What a sweet girl!!
I love it when our kids supercede our own abilities.

Nikkel said...

So sweet!

The Wessman Family said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing...

Ryan and Alicia said...

What a wonderful little example for all of us!

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

What a sweet girl! I wish y'all were my neighbors :)