Thursday, March 19, 2009

Conversations with children

On Sunday we were in the van after visiting Josh for his birthday. I don't remember what Rick did but Annie called him the meanest Dad in the world. Carlyn then asked him for a now and later candy. Annie said, "Me too." Rick said yes to Carlyn but told Annie, "I'm sorry. I'm the meanest Dad in the world. I can't give you candy." He then said if she would be happy and say please that he would give her one. She said no because he was the meanest Dad. I prompted her to say sorry and do what Daddy said. She shook her head and said, "I don't want to. Those candies are too hard anyway." Rick laughed and said, "Well that one just blew up in my face, didn't it." :)

The girls received some "new" barbies and brat dolls from a friend the other day including some male barbies. We didn't have any of those before. I was secretly listening to them playing. They were behind my chair and didn't think I was listening. Annie as the boy: Darling would you like to come with me? Carlyn: No. Say, "Come over here so I can kiss you." :) She's got boys pegged at 5, huh?

Carlyn wants to get her ears pierced has been trying to butter me up. She says, "Mom, you are the prettiest, most beautiful Mom ever. I just love your hair. It just always looks so pretty and I love your clothes too." I do think she's being sincere about her compliments, but I believe them more after I've gotten dressed and done my hair :)

Darren's favorite word is "no." Everything is no. For example, he will bring me his bottle and point to the fridge until I get him a bottle of milk. Then I say, "Darren do you want your bottle." "No!" is the first reply. I say, "Say yes if you want your bottle." "No!" "I'm not giving it to you if you say no. Say yes." "No!" At this point he's getting pretty anxious, but we're sick of him saying no to EVERYTHING. Finally he realizes I'm not giving him the bottle to he signs please. I tell him good job but say yes. He gives me one of his perfected dirty looks and finally he says, "ES." As soon as I give him the bottle he pouts again and says, "No. No. No," in a disapproving way to me. Meaning that I was doing something naughty.

He does say a few other things though. The other day we were at the table for a meal and Rick asked who would like to say prayer. As usual the girls both said loudly, "ME!" What threw us for a loop was Darren piping up with his, "ME!" too. We all busted up. He also did that today at the store when I was bribing them to be good with a sucker. I asked who wanted the sour apple, "ME!" was his response. I asked who wanted the tangerine and got the same response. Both times the girls claimed the sucker and I gave it to them since I figured he was the least picky. He saw me giving them to the girls though and got nervous. So I started to unwrap the 3rd one and he said, "Me!" I guess he didn't want to take his chances that it was for me.

Darn, I had several more. I'll have to try to remember them.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Such funny things Bonny, thanks for sharing!