Monday, March 31, 2008

Busy weekend!

This weekend was a little funny and really busy. We hit the whole life cycle in a couple days. A funeral, wedding, baby blessing, and a baptism. It was really an interesting experience having these all together.


A few weeks ago, Rick lost a friend and mentor, Dave Davidson. He introduced Rick to Murray's Rotary Club. Their aim is service (and fun!) Which is perfect for Rick. Even though they are much older, except a couple of members, he has enjoyed working with and socializing with them. Back to the point though, Dave's funeral was Saturday at 11. I decided not to go and stayed to play with the kids on our new swing set.


My friend, Marilee, from high school was having her reception in Utah County so we drove down. It was so fun for me because I hadn't seen some people there since high school too many years ago. Also, I have know her and her family since I was 5. They are just the greatest family and I have so much respect for all of them. It was fun to see Marilee's brothers and sisters and their kids. I was so happy for her to get married, because she's just so happy.


After that we played games at Joel & Jess's, which meant we got home way too late. We have 11:00 church, but had to be to the blessing at 9 after a 20 minute drive. Not enough sleep for any of us that night. We had a great time at Shane & Denise's baby's blessing. His name is Adam and he's just adorable. Shane is Rick's best friend and their family is Rick's 2nd family (or 3rd I guess, if you count mine). Unfortunately I had to rush to teach my class (actually Annie and Darren were done and needed long naps.) I barely made it there in time to teach, but it was a fun lesson on being a missionary no matter how old we are. I felt a bit like a hypocrite teaching them because I'm so afraid to say anything, but actually the point was that we should be good friends and examples to others, so maybe I'm ok in that area.


Not long after we headed to a baptism of a family friend, Delenn. It was fun to be there with Rick's family and have the kids playing with everyone. Besides Delenn, they were the only kids and they got all the attention from Grandma Linda and the aunties. Annie & Carlyn got the camera and were taking all kinds of pictures. Carlyn only took a couple funny ones and Annie took one or two good ones. She would hold the camera funny, like pointed at your legs or up your nose and take the pictures! She say "Say teese" and then turn the camera to show you the picture she took. Carlyn would hold it upside down when she showed you and it was funny. We had a fun time.

I love the ordinances of the gospel and how simple they really are! I love to see the baby surrounded by priesthood holders and family members who love him/her! I love to see the glow of the newly baptised person and see how happy they are to make that decision! I love to see a new couple just starting together and wonder what's in store for them. I love to know that while funerals are sad, that person will be resurrected and will live again and its not all over for them.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds like you have been busy! It's fun to stay busy seeing family and friends. What's your friend Marilee's last name? It's a long shot, but i knew a marilee in my singles ward a long time ago.. she was a cute girl. :)