Friday, May 16, 2008

Sick kiddies

I hate having kids who are sick. Not that anyone loves it-what I mean is that it is the worst part of being a mom, even worse than tantrums and sleepless nights. Especially when they are young and can't tell you what's wrong or there's nothing I can do to make it go away.

My kids seem to keep rotating through several different viruses and aren't super sick, but they rotate between sore throats, coughs, runny noses, ear aches, fevers, headaches, stomach aches, and occasional throw up sessions. Usually not all at once, but its been a long 24 hours with a couple fun weeks before that.

Tonight Carlyn was complaining of a sore throat and I had done everything I could and she was just laying there whining and I said a prayer with her. She looked at me and said, "Dad could give me a blessing, huh?" I said yes and she ran to him to ask. Oh the faith of a little child. Before that she wouldn't settle down to go to sleep and after she just hugged us and climbed in bed and went to sleep. Annie, who is mostly better, jumped up after Carlyn was done and sat tall and grinned and said, "I have blessing too, Daddy." After the blessing she turned and gave him the biggest hug. While it hasn't been fun having sick kids, it was so special to have this experience. I'm so thankful to Rick for the good dad he is and that he can give our children blessings. I'm thankful for the priesthood he has and honors.

5 comments:

The Wessman Family said...

I hope they feel better soon! What faith they show...

Anne-Marie said...

Sick kids are no fun. For the kids or Mom. So sweet to ask Daddy for a blessing.

Katie said...

Sorry to hear your kids are sick! That is no fun, but what a sweet moment for Rick. We left really early Monday and didn't get a chance to say goodbye to your family! It was fun seeing you over Mother's day.

crystal said...

Sorry your kiddos have been sick! That is a really cute story about the girls asking for a blessing!

Jen said...

What a cute story. I am sorry you have had to deal with the sick kiddies, that's never fun. Hopefully it is gone for a while.