Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Winter in full swing

I'd love winter if it weren't for the cold, sick kids, short daylight hours, and did I mention sick kids? All this snow would be wonderful (and isn't it a lot of snow?) if we weren't cooped up inside due to one thing or the other! My girls have the cutest snowsuits which have hardly had any use this winter (though their coats and boots have gotten plenty) because poor Darren can't go outside without getting a cough. We are finally all getting better. The kids all had colds which led to ear infections and Carlyn and Darren's turned into asthma too. Darren especially. He really hates the nebulizer and I hate holding the mask on his screaming little head, but it really helps so I do it anyway. We had a few scary nights. The worst part is that I'm just not sleeping well. Last night, for example, I got to bed late (at about 1, thanks to my mom babysitting so Rick and I could go on a date! Thanks SO much) and Anneliese would wake up every 20 minutes or less to scream. Finally on the 5th time I gave her some medicine and she calmed down. Darren woke up every 1 or 2 hours crying and of course wouldn't go to sleep without nursing to sleep.

I don't mean to complain though. This has been my life for the last 2 or 3 months. I'm just really grumpy from being sleep deprived. I really love the beautiful white coat the snow gives everything. I really do wish I could go out and play with the girls. It would be good for us all. Last week we were all sick and I couldn't take being home anymore and we walked around the mall window shopping. Carlyn wondered if we were really buying a window and didn't get that whole phrase. She asked to go into each store. She loves looking at stuff and asking questions. Millions of questions! Anneliese pointed everything out to me. It was cute how excited she would get over a manequin display in a store window. Darren was happy to be out of the house too and just grinned the whole time. We haven't dared to go anywhere like the library because I was afraid the kids were contagious.

As I said, my mom stayed over night last night and babysat while Rick and I had our first without baby date. We had dinner at Sweet Tomatoes. Yum! Everything was fabulous. I'm not sure if it was because I actually got to realize what I was eating and not helping kids the whole time or because I didn't have to cook it! We did have to take a break from our date to come home so I could feed Darren, but he went to sleep well and we went to see National Treasure 2. We even held hands and snuggled.

My children may drive me crazy sometimes, but I sure love them. They are so funny. I love to watch them grow. After lunch today I was playing peek-a-boo with Darren's bib and he would pull it down and we all would laugh our heads off. It was so much fun. I hear him crying as he's waking up from his nap. That's my cue to be done.

Love to our family and friends,
Bonny

2 comments:

Katie said...

Welcome to the blog world!

crystal said...

I hear you about the weather! I am ready for Spring!