Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Few Things I Don't Want To Forget

There are a few things my kids have said or done that I want to write down because I forget so many things already.

For example: On Valentine's Day I opened the blinds to show Darren the snow and he yelled, "No. No," (for snow) and ran to find his boots. He found one and brought it to me. That reminds me of when we were in CA at the mall having lunch with Barrett and Katie. The kids were playing at the play area and Rick went over to watch. When Darren saw him he ran to the shoe shelf, grabbed his Thomas the Train shoes and took them to Rick to put them on him. He just seemed like such a big kid and it was so cute. He loves Thomas now because of those shoes which are now too small. I almost cried when I put them away.

Lately he's been so snugly. Its just cute when he'll go up to one of the girls or Rick or me and just hug us tight. He usually does it over and over. We especially love it when he pats our back.

Anneliese is changing from our cute little toddler who says her c's at t's and l's as w's. Today she said, "tute" then corrected it with "cute". She doesn't call McDonald's "nick knack Donald's" anymore. She goes to play at friends houses sometimes. Instead of drawing scribbles and saying, "look, I'm writing," she says, "look at these letters I wrote," and will have written A's I's E's T's & M's. She can spell her name out loud if she focuses. She still has a little pixie hairdo because hers works better that way, but it would be so long if I stopped cutting it. She picks her own clothes now. She still says "actuwe" for "actually" but she uses it in appropriate places. I got her saying wrong in the last post and she says, "It doesn't matter and it does matter," all the time. She still wants only Mommy most of the time and can throw horrible fits sometimes.

Carlyn amazes me all the time at how grown up she can be. She wanted to borrow Mario Party from our neighbor and she went right up to him at church and asked if she could. Thanks BTW Brian. They love it and we'll have to bring it by soon. I wouldn't have dared do that when I was 5. Its amazing watching them play it too. Annie's got all the luck. She rolls high and usually can guess things pretty well. Carlyn can read just enough of it that she'll figure things out and teach Annie. They memorize a lot of course, but she asks words and remembers them. Some of the games are too hard for them to play, but some they really rock on.

Today in the car Carlyn was thoughtful and said, "I miss President Hinckley." Annie said, "He died." Carlyn said, "I know. I still miss him. He was a sweet man and its okay to miss him." It was so cute.

Almost everyday they ask to call Aunt Belinda (Rick's sister) or Uncle Mathew (my brother) or to go to their house or invite them over. Maybe it is because they are closest or don't have their own kids yet, but they sure love their aunt and uncle. On that same note, anytime grandma, grandpa or Mathew are mentioned, Darren says, "Mama. Papa," and runs to the door looking for them. After playing at Belinda's house with their dog Nala he would say, "Nala." Then when Belinda was mentioned or he saw her he would say, "Nala," again expecting the dog to be there. Or he would woof if he didn't say Nala.

The cutest thing I don't want to forget is that Rick said to Darren one night, "You are so adorable. Can you say adorable?" Darren's response to that was, "A-dor-a-bul." We were all amazed and thought it was the cutest thing so we kept trying to get him to say it again. He would either say "dora" or "bull" which was pretty funny too. Then a few days ago he brought me Annie's slipper that has Dora the Explorer on it. I said, "Yeah, is that Dora? Say Dora." He said, "Bull." Too funny!

We still have a few months, but they are concerned about what the baby's name will be. I already did a post on how they named it Charlie. Carlyn said, "I'm named after my great grandma. Annie's named after you. Darren's named after Dad. Who will the baby be named after?" I asked who she thought it should be named after and she thought about it. She asked what Dad's Dad's name was (he passed away). I told her it was Bruce. She said it was cute and maybe the baby's name should be Bruce. I said what if it was a girl and she couldn't come up with an answer. Actually, I've been wondering the same question. I'd like to have a family name for the middle name at least. I have several options if its a boy but I'm not sure about girl names.

2 comments:

Sam and Emily Grindstaff said...

We have friends that just had a baby and his name is bruce. At least you have some names, I'm at a loss either way.

At least Darren fit in the Thomas shoes, by the time Caleb was interested in Thomas his feet were too big for those shoes.

The Wessman Family said...

Those are some really cute anecdotes. Blogs are great for helping us remember all these kinds of things, aren't they?