Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thank goodness for Carlyn

When I came home early evening yesterday, after running errands and a run in with a particularly unpleasant ex-employee, I came home and wrote a rant. It felt really good; I was really upset. Then I emailed it to Rick and deleted it! :) About the time I was finishing it, Carlyn came in and said she was hungry. It was after 6 and I was so upset I couldn't cook. We went into the kitchen and I still couldn't decide what to make. She brought me a dish she'd used for lunch and asked if I would teach her how to wash it. Well duh, what mom would say no to that? So I filled up the sink with soapy water and some dishes. I did one to show her and she went to it. She even asked for more to do. We were working together, she washed, I rinsed, she sat it to dry (or I would have gotten a picture.) I have to say that scrubbing actually did take away all my anger too.

Rick was sick yesterday and ended the day with a migraine, which unfortunately is worse today. I hate it because I feel helpless, only able to get him hot packs or medicine every once in awhile. Carlyn knew just what to do. She went in and as softly as she possibly could she laid next him and snuggled him. It was so cute and sweet. She laid there with him for quite awhile. I've never seen her so still. What a sweet girl! That makes a much better post than my rant anyday!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Sorry to hear you had a bad day! Carlyn is so sweet - I'm not surprised she took over the role of family peacemaker when you needed it most. :)

Anne-Marie said...

I think we can all relate to difficult days like that, but I love that Carlyn made your day a bit sweeter.

Jen said...

What a sweet girl! I am sure you will remember her cuteness and will forget all about your bad day over time. What a cute story.