Saturday, January 8, 2011

I'm Back! Where did I go?

Okay friends & family, I don't know for sure why I stopped blogging.  At first I think it was just time.  I never realized how busy it would be having a kid in school!  Also, I wanted to put pictures up and our camera was broken, thanks to Darren throwing it across the front room.  Then I got distracted with facebook.  And the games there.  Nobody needs to tell me they are a waste of time.  I know, yet I'm still addicted, but I'm missing keeping in touch with people.  So...I'm going to make an effort to do better. 

What's new in case you haven't heard from us?  Something very new is that Rick will be starting school, hopefully in February and hopefully at Western Governer's.  He is very excited and was hoping to be started by now, but had a hang up. 

Carlyn is in 1st grade and at a different school than Anneliese thanks to her being in the Gifted program in the district.  She also won at her school & region for her Reflections entry which was a 3D image of a girl and her mom flying a kite.  I'll have to post some pictures when I get a chance.  She also participates in the 1st grad book club which we hosted at our house on Friday.  They each have a month assigned when they choose a book and do an activity & snack related to the book.  Carlyn chose Ella Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret Chodos-Irvine.  We had a tea party and made paper dolls.  She also lost her first tooth and learned how to ride a 2 wheel bike over the summer and then taught Anneliese and two cousins! 

Anneliese, who has told us that she wants us to call her Anneliese and not Annie, is in Kindergarten.  She loves it and loves her teacher, who is about to have a baby so I hope that the change to the substitute isn't hard on her.  She's doing well and beginning to read, but isn't half as confident as her big sister which I hope she can outgrow.  She still loves to dance & draw and is always smiling.  I don't mean to say less about her because she has the middle child syndrome going on enough, but this last year did mean as much change for her. 

Darren is 3 now!  He's in Sunbeams at church and I love his teacher and hope that she'll teach him how to sit still better than I have!  He's driving me crazy because he technically is potty trained, but he just doesn't care if he has an accident.  I've tried treats, stickers, working up to a date with mommy or buying a toy, but nothing seems to work.  I'm trying to be patient but I think I'm failing.  He's getting really good at video games, especially considering how young he is.  And don't forget, he thinks it is just the funniest thing to go cross eyed or burp on cue. 

Charlie is so big!  I can't believe my baby is over 18 months!!!  He thinks he's as big as the other kids too and gets really mad when he can't do something like one of the bigger kids.  That kid can really throw a fit!  He's at the stage where nothing is safe.  I'll hide something up high or where I think he can't reach it and the next thing I know, he has it!  He is super ticklish and has the best laugh ever.  He's in nursery now and seems to love it when he finally gets distracted enough to stop crying.  He's turned into such a Daddy's boy too. 

This last year was also the year to get tonsils out for the Dansies.  Anneliese had hers out in April, Rick in May, and Carlyn in December.  I also had my niece Jaycie the weekend after she had her tonsils out this summer so I really am a pro at helping tonsillectomy patients. 

As for me, I love volunteering in the girls' classes and I also love being a stay at home mom, but I do look forward to the rare date with Rick or girls nights out. I also recently became a consultant for Usborne Books and I do book parties and have a website.  I would love to catch up with any of you in Utah and get you some free books in the process of you having a party.  If you live out of Utah, you can still have a web party, we just wouldn't be able to visit in person.  

This year was the first year when Rick and I got away without kids when we actually left our house!  We went to St. George in October for our 10th Anniversary and just after Christmas for a disaster of a trip (long story) but it was still nice to have that time together. 

I may be forgetting something, but it has been a long week and I really should be in bed.  (9 o'clock church!  Yuck!)  Rick has been sick since before Christmas with a cold & cough and is finally getting better, but has been having muscle spasms in his neck which has made for a really rough week.  Overall we are doing really well and I really just want to stay in touch better.  Love to you all!  

PS, I obviously still have a lot of updating to do, so be patient with me!!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

You had a busy year! I hope everything goes well with Rick going back to school.

Anne-Marie said...

Wow. It doesn't seem like it's been a year since your last post. Time flies. You sound busy and happy. Welcome back to blogging!

Katie said...

Good to have you back--love you guys!