Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Getting Healthy"

First of all, I hate to say the word "diet."  At the thought of that word I run to the cupboards and eat everything unhealthy and I feel like I'm starving.  I have to admit though that I never actually have dieted.  I know that I could benefit from a healthier lifestyle and I'm willing to try it, but I do have to say that I'm scared and I have some hang-ups. 

I can think up so many excuses why I haven't tried: 
    My thyroid is what contributed to major weight gain in the past and I worry that it will prevent me from losing weight in the future.
    My kids are so little.  I don't have time for me right now.
    I refuse to make 2 separate meals for special diets and my kids are already so picky.
    I can't do it without support and Rick just hasn't worried about his weight.
    I don't have money to spend on equipment, gym memberships, or workout plans.
    I don't have money to spend on expensive foods.
    I'm only 34 and I gained quite a bit of that as baby weight, so maybe it will just come off eventually anyway.
   

I also know there are many good reasons to be healthy. 
The most important reasons are:
     Rick, Carlyn, Anneliese, Darren, & Charlie!!!  My family needs me to be healthy so I can play more with them and enjoy life. 
    I need to try to prevent other issues (diabetes, heart problems, etc.) that are made worse by being overweight.
    If I eat healthier meals, I can influence my husband and children to eat healthier meals too!
    I don't need expensive meal/exercise plans, memberships, or equipment to start.  I can use what I have to do the best I can.  Its got to be more helpful than sitting here eating cookies! 
    I do have support!  I have a husband who loves me no matter what size I am, but he does want me to be healthy and is even willing to try it with me.


The point is:  my cousin is doing a 90 day health challenge on facebook.  It starts Monday, and if you want details you can ask about it.  One key point of the challenge is accountability.  Keep track of your food intake, water drinking, & exercise.  I realize that while my starting out may be totally different than another person and I'm not seeking to lose the most weight the fastest, but I am going to be a healthier person at the end of that 90 days.  I'm excited about that!  For the first time I feel like I'm ready to commit to that.  It scares me to death that I'll fail, but with support I know I won't!  :)  I'm not committing to a diet.  I'm committing to health challenge. 

No comments: